K2 Team: Tony Groom
Chief Executive and Restructuring Officer
Business Doctor, Turnaround Practitioner, & Restructuring Advisor
Help for your business
- Tony has been a Business Doctor and Turnaround Practitioner for twenty years, advising on and implementing the financial and strategic restructuring of SME businesses to improve cash flow, organise the business for profits and lay foundations for growth. Tony brings an understanding of business as director, shareholder of many business turnarounds in which he has invested.
Skills and expertise
- Tony’s expertise is in helping directors and shareholders resolve their company’s immediate financial problems while at the same time developing a strategy for future growth; he sees the big picture but also deals with the minutiae. He also has considerable experience of saving business that other advisers think are too far gone such as those with winding up petitions or where the bank has called in a loan. Tony also specialises in resolving union-led industrial negotiations when a company’s survival is threatened by employee action.
- Tony was recently recognised by his peers who voted him “Turnaround Practitioner of the Year” at the UK Insolvency & Rescue Awards 2009.
- Advised and led restructuring of several printers including the recent restructuring of a printing group with t/o £8million, exit via sale.
- Adviser to a number of wholesale and retail businesses including the recent fund raising for a £3million t/o furniture businesses as part of a restructuring via a successful Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA).
- Chief Restructuring Officer (CRO) of many industrial manufacturing businesses including the recent rescue of an engineering fabricator with t/o £2million via a CVA that is still ongoing, still engaged.
- Director of several SMEs including the rescue and restructure of an international security software company to reverse monthly losses of £150k, now profitable.
- Chief Executive and CRO of AIM listed companies including the turnaround of a regulated investment company.
- Adviser and shareholder of a number of small service companies that he has restructured including Coffee Nation, a commercial vehicle parts distributor and a global brand design and marketing services group, all with t/o of less that £1million when he was engaged.
- Director and Trustee of company set up to administer the trail income following Tony’s restructuring of a group of regulated investment advisers.
- After serving as a Captain in the British Army, Tony went to London Business School in 1989. Tony chairs and presents at a number of annual restructuring, turnaround and asset management conferences in UK and Europe and has lectured extensively over the past 15 years on corporate recovery to lawyers, accountants and at several business schools. He is also director and Past President of the Turnaround Management Association UK.